Saturday, March 26, 2011

Review: Revlon ColorStay foundation for Oily/Combination skin in Sand Beige

Bottom line: Revlon ColorStay for Oily/Combination skin has excellent coverage and lasting power. However, unless your skin is really oily it can be kind of chalky, especially during the winter.

The first thing I noticed about Revlon ColorStay was the smell and texture. I've used Estee Lauder and MAC foundations, and ColorStay's smells and feels more like one of those than like a drugstore foundation.

The foundation is thick and definitely stays where you put it. It comes in a glass bottle, and you have to pour it out. I have a very difficult time not pouring too much into my hands. I find that it looks really bad if you get too much.

If you use a small amount and apply it carefully, ColorStay provides an even matte finish and excellent medium-to-heavy coverage. It has serious lasting power, probably the best of any foundation I've used.

Unfortunately, I like a natural-looking foundation, and I just don't think Revlon ColorStay gives me that type of finish. I don't think anyone would look at me when I'm wearing ColorStay and think, "Gee, she's not wearing much makeup at all, she must just be naturally pretty." It's just too heavy for that.



If you're a powder user, go very light on it with ColorStay. I had to go with just a light swipe over the T-Zone or else it looks very bad and chalky.


That said, Revlon ColorStay's a good foundation to have around. I like to wear it on days when I'm trying to look professional or dressed up, like for a big business meeting. I'd say it's a good foundation for professional women who have to endure some seriously long days. It's also good for days when you're going to have to hug a lot of people and are worried about your makeup coming off, like when you're headed to a funeral or family reunion.

Since my skin can get oily and temperamental, I had elected to try ColorStay's Oily/Combination skin foundation first. I think I might have better luck during the winter with the other ColorStay formula, but I would probably need the Oily/Combination one in the summer.

After trying both, I strongly prefer the newer Revlon ColorStay Mineral Mousse to this ColorStay product. It has a smoother, lighter finish that I find more natural and appealing.

But this one serves its purposes, and I appreciate the wide variety of shades it's available in. I thought Sand Beige was a good match for me, though I would probably go with a slightly darker shade, like Nude or Natural Beige, in the summer.

Shades: Ivory (110), Buff (150), Sand Beige (180), Nude (200), Natural Beige (220), Medium Beige (240), Fresh Beige (250), Golden Beige (300), Warm Golden (310), True Beige (320), Natural Tan (330), Early Tan (340), Rich Tan (350), Golden Caramel (360), Toast (370), Rich Ginger (380), Caramel (400), Cappuchino (410), Mahogany (440), Mocha (450)

SPF: 6

Price: $12.99

Can I get it cheaper? Yes. Revlon cosmetics go on sale at drugstores all the time, and there are often coupons in Sunday newspapers

Ingredients: Water, Cyclomethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Boron Nitrate, Dimethicone, Alcohol Denatured, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Nylon 12, Tribehenin, Isododecane, Polyisobutene, Sodium Chloride, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Bisabolol (L-Alpha), Serica Poudre de Soie (Silk Powder), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Malva Sylvestris Extract (Mallow), Lilium Candidum Bulb Extract (Lily), Lactobacillus/Eriodictyon Californicum Ferment Extract, Cymbidium Grandiflorum Flower (Orchid) Extract, Serica Soie (Silk), Alumina, Dimethicone/Silsesquioxane Copolymer, Ethylene Brassylate, Methicone, Trisiloxane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain (+/-): Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499)

No comments:

Post a Comment