Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Review: CoverGirl CG Smoothers Makeup in Creamy Natural 720

Bottom line: This did not go so well. CoverGirl CG Smoothers Makeup made any tiny patches of dry skin on my face much more noticeable — it looked awful. It also made my face look very oily as the day went on. I did like the color and the packaging, but that was about it.

I've warmed up to CoverGirl over the past couple years. While I've often been suspicious of their foundations, I really like their TRUBlend Whipped Foundation. So I decided to branch out and picked up CG Smoothers Makeup.

I have to admit that I actually thought this was more of a tinted moisturizer when I picked it up, since it's in a little squeeze tube. But it is in fact an actual foundation. I like the packaging though — it seems very hygienic.

The first time I used CG Smoothers, I got a bit carried away and put on too much. It did not look too good; it just kind of sat on top of my face. So I got a paper towel and tried to get some of it off, and that looked better. But as I looked in the mirror, I noticed my skin looked really freaking dry, with all these little pieces hanging off. I hadn't used powder yet, and I'd applied moisturizer to my dry spots before putting on the foundation, so I thought that was weird.

So before I went to bed that night, I pulled out some facial scrub and gave my face a good scrub.

The next day, I put CG Smoothers on again, being careful not to get too much. The finish looked better overall, but my skin still had these nasty dry spots. At that point I realized that something about this foundation magnifies dry skin patches instead of minimizing them. To verify that I wasn't crazy, I did some googling and discovered several other reviews that mentioned similar issues. Very weird.

So if you have even slightly dry skin, CG Smoothers is a very bad idea.

Other than that, it's an OK product. My color choice, Creamy Natural, matched my skin well and blended tolerably, and CG Smoothers does come in a solid variety of shades. Coverage is in the light-to-medium range, and it minimizes redness pretty well.
The overall finish is decent, though it's not really anything special. The lasting power is decent, but by the end of the day, my skin was looking very shiny, even though I'd applied powder.

Every day I wore this product, I wound up taking it off earlier than I normally would. I could feel my face getting a bit oily, and it just didn't feel like my skin was able to breathe.

While this product isn't the worst one out there, I could name 10 foundations for a similar price that are better, including a bunch of other ones from CoverGirl. Unless your face is in that magical world where it's not dry or oily, CG Smoothers is probably not your best option. And if your skin is that good, then you probably don't even need it at all.

CG Smoothers is also advertised as fragrance free, but it does have a bit of a scent, and it's not a good one. I think it smells kind of like paint.

I definitely will not be repurchasing, and I doubt I'll even use up what I have.

Price: $7.99

Shades: Ivory 705, Classic Ivory 710,
Natural Ivory 715, Creamy Natural 720, Buff Beige 725, Classic Beige 730, Medium Light 735, Natural Beige 740, Warm Beige 745, Creamy Beige 750, Soft Honey 755, Classic Tan 760, Tawny 765, Toasted Almond 770, Soft Sable 775

Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Talc, Sodium Chloride, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Arachidyl Behenate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Stearic Acid, Ethylene Brassylate, Trihydroxystearin, Trisodium EDTA, Silica, Dimethicone, Synthetic Wax, Propylparaben, Barium Sulfate (CI 77120), Methicone, Aluminum Hydroxide, Laureth 7, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Mica

About the brand: CoverGirl is a drugstore cosmetic brand that is currently owned by Procter & Gamble.

No comments:

Post a Comment