Saturday, May 8, 2010

Review: Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer

Bottom line: Incredibly lightweight and handily packaged, this multipurpose product has been my everyday foundation for several years. While it only provides light coverage, it evens out my skin nicely.

I’ve been using this product for years. I found it when I got tired of regular foundation, which I thought was making my skin (and me) look older. I found Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer, and I’ve been using it as a light foundation ever since.

This is a multi-tasking tinted moisturizer: it’s a retinol treatment, SPF 20 moisturizer, and sheer tint makeup all in one.

I absolutely love the packaging: It’s in a plastic bottle with a pump. It’s so easy to use: One good pump from the 1 fl. oz. bottle gives you the same amount of product every time, and you don’t have to get it under your fingernails and all over your hands.

Neutrogena Skin Enhancer feels smooth and creamy in my hands and when I put it on my face. The consistency is somewhere between a liquid foundation and a mousse — it’s really easy to apply.

I can apply this directly to my bare skin just fine, but I normally treat any dry spots on my skin with moisturizing lotion before applying it. This usually helps it go on more smoothly.

The makeup blends pretty easily. It evens out my skin tone nicely, and gives me mild blemish coverage. After applying it, I use concealer on any blemishes, then I add a little blush and powder, and I’m ready to go.

I have worn just the foundation without powder, and it actually looks better, but I find that a bit of powder helps make the skin enhancer and concealer last longer.

This is the most lightweight foundation or moisturizer I’ve tried; it literally feels like I’m wearing nothing on my skin. I think it makes my face look natural and healthy.

I have tried most of the Neutrogena foundations, and Healthy Skin Enhancer is by far my favorite for everyday wear. Since the coverage is so light and natural, it’s not something I wear for a night on the town, but it’s great for daytime.

I also usually have to use a different foundation if I need to conceal a bad acne breakout. I usually use Neutrogena’s Skin Clearing foundation on those days — it helps clear breakouts and keeps my skin from getting too oily.

I’m a big fan of Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer. While I use different foundations throughout the week, this is the one I reach for most often, especially when I’m in a hurry. It’s the perfect “throw on and go” product.

Coverage: Light

Colors: Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer is available in six shades. I usually use Light to Neutral, but I keep a tube of Neutral to Tan around to use in the summer when I'm a little bit tan. It’s a little hard to judge the shades in the store because the bottle and swatches seem a little darker than the shades really are, so keep that in mind when purchasing. Here's what 40 and 30 look like on me (40's on the left):


Shades: Ivory to Light 10, Fair to Light 20, Light to Neutral 30, Neutral to Tan 40, Tan to Medium 50, Medium to Olive 60

Price: $11.49

Can I get it cheaper? Yes. This one is a little pricey for a drugstore makeup, but I usually look for coupons in my Sunday newspaper and good sales to bring the price down. CVS and Walgreens sometimes have "Buy 1, Get 1 half off" or 40% off Neutrogena deals, so I usually stock up then. You can find Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer at drugstores, mass merchandise stores and Ulta.

Active ingredients: Octinoxate (7%) (Sunscreen), Octisalate (3%) (Sunscreen), Titanium Dioxide (5.1%) (Sunscreen)
Inactive ingredients: Water, Isopropyl Isostearate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Retinol, Arginine HCl, Olive Fruit Extract (Olea Europaea), BHT, Silica, Polysorbate 20, Sclerotium Gum, Tetrasodium EDTA, Erythorbic Acid, Isostearyl Palmitate, Polysilicone 11, PEG 100 Stearate, Ammonium Polyacrylatedimethyl Taurate, PEG 75 Stearate, Ceteth 20, Steareth 20, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), May Contain (+/-): Iron Oxides, Lauroyl Lysine

About the brand: Neutrogena is an American brand that sells cosmetics, skin care and a few hair care products. It is currently owned by Johnson & Johnson. While their cosmetics are sold in drugstores, they have one of the highest price points for drugstore cosmetics.

1 comment:

  1. would your recommend it for someone with SUPER oily skin??

    ReplyDelete